Volunteering is fun
Our volunteers are essential to the success of the Galleries Shop & Café. We operate a rota system of three or four shifts a day. Most of our volunteers work one shift a week, although some enjoy it so much they do two or even three. Some prefer to work once a fortnight or even once a month. We are very flexible and will try to accommodate everyone’s wishes; we can even tailor a shift to suit individuals.
There are over sixty volunteers involved in a variety of different ways.
Working behind the till is just one way of helping the shop and thereby the wider communities of Freshford and Limpley Stoke. Other ways of helping include:
- Receiving deliveries from our main suppliers and re-stocking the shelves
- Serving coffee or tea, cakes, breakfast or lunches in the Café or just help with the till and clearing up
- Cooking food to be served in our Café
- Maintenance work, for example: carpentry and odd jobs
- Gardening in our delightful herb garden
- Some volunteers act as Volunteer Supporters offering help, guidance and peer support
- Researching new products we might stock
- Occasional shopping trips to replenish stocks
- Behind the scenes and on the financial side, some do banking and accounting
- Helping with computer skills.
Whatever skill or interest our volunteers have, we welcome and appreciate all offers of help.
Volunteers need to be over the age of 15 but there is no upper age limit. We have volunteers of all ages, some are students working in the shop as part of their Duke of Edinburgh Award, some have school-age children; others are in full-time employment and help out at weekends; some describe themselves as active retired.
Twice a year we hold a party to which all our volunteers and their spouses are invited, to thank them for their help – these events are always popular!
If you would like to join our lively team please fill in our volunteer application form and drop it into the shop.
Why not call in to the shop and speak to our manager, Julie Forster, or call her on 01225 723249, if you have any queries about volunteering?